GST : Alter, Cancel, Repeal
GST is rolling out on 1st July after all the clarifications and steps taken up by the government. After registering for Goods and Service Tax there can be chances of people to alter their registration, cancel it completely or repeal the cancelled registration. What can be done if all the three cases comes to you? Let us know what are the terms to be followed.
Altering the registration:
- If a person wish to change any details of his/her business furnished at the time of registration then it must be submitted in Form GST REG-11 within 15 days from the date of such changes.
- Changes relating to the name of the business, partner details, managing committee, and so on, in Form GST REG-11 require approval from an officer. After verification, an approval order by the officer is sent in Form GST REG-12 to alter the details.
- Changes in business details that result in change of PAN number of the registered tax payer, require a registration again in Form GST REG-01.
Cancelling the registration:
- If a registered taxable person wishes to cancel the registration, then he/she should submit Form GST REG-14 along with details of closing and other relevant documents.
- Within 7 days, Form GST REG-15 which is a notice, is issued to the taxable person to show cause with reason for cancellation.
- This also needs an approval from the officer. After verification and approval by an officer, cancellation order in Form GST REG-16 is issued within 30 days from the date of receipt of Form GST REG-15 or date of show cause.
Repealing the registration:
- If registration of taxable person is cancelled by an officer, a taxable person can apply for repeal of registration by submitting Form GST REG-17 within 30 days from date of cancellation order.
- If the officer requires additional details or clarification, Form GST REG-3 is issued within 3 working days.
- The taxable person then needs to respond by providing required details in Form GST REG-4 within 7 working days.
- If the officer is satisfied, the cancellation is repealed by issuing an order in Form GST REG-18 within 30 days from date of such application.
- If the officer is not satisfied, the repeal application is rejected in Form GST REG-5. Prior to this rejection, the taxable person will be issued a show cause notice in Form GST REG-19 and hearing.